Director of Operations (Tetra Tech International Development, Europe)
Tetra Tech International DevelopmentLondon22 days ago
Director of Operations (Tetra Tech International Development, Europe)
Reporting to: Managing Director and operates as part of the leadership team (consisting of the Managing Director, Practice Area Leads, Head of Business Development and Finance Director).
Location: London or Reading, with occasional international travel.
About Tetra Tech
Tetra Tech (www.tetratech.com) is a leading provider of consulting and engineering services. We support government and commercial clients with innovative solutions focused on infrastructure and urban development, energy, transport, water, resource management and international development. With 20,000 associates worldwide, our capabilities span the entire project cycle.
About Tetra Tech International Development, Europe
Tetra Tech International Development Europe is part of Tetra Tech’s Global Development Services Division. Our teams deliver international development programmes and projects in the areas of governance, security and justice, economic growth and infrastructure for clients such as the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the UN, the EU, EIB and other donors and funding agencies. We also have a strong independent in-house monitoring, evaluation and learning practice to measure the effectiveness of aid worldwide. We have corporate offices in the UK, Kenya, Nigeria, Turkey, Poland and the Netherlands.
How we work and our values We are committed to maintaining business practices that honour and protect the dignity and integrity of everyone with whom the company conducts business, employs and serves. As a leading international development organisation we fully support continued progress and improvement within the development community to make development initiatives more effective. We are also committed to addressing various cross-cutting issues relevant to international development to ensure that all people can access and enjoy the benefits of our activities.
• We value our people: we support the development of our people, ensuring that the environments in which they work are fair, safe and flexible.
• We deliver quality results: we go the extra mile to deliver value for our clients, impact for beneficiaries and a fair financial return for the company to grow sustainably.
• We collaborate effectively: we work authentically with our clients, beneficiaries and partners and strive to communicate clearly and openly at all times.
• We encourage creativity and innovation: we encourage entrepreneurial thinking and provide the freedom, support and investment for new ideas and initiatives.
• We operate with integrity: we encourage entrepreneurial thinking and provide the freedom, support and investment for new ideas and initiatives.
About the role
We are looking for a Director of Operations to lead the Support Services function within Tetra Tech International Development, Europe. From Human Resources, Risk and Compliance to Facilities and Administration, the remit of our Support Services is to keep staff safe, ensure that the business is compliant, proactively monitor and manage risk, support staff to perform to the best of their ability and offer a clear path for career progression.
You will be responsible for:
• Company Leadership: Playing a key role as a member of the Tetra Tech International Development Europe Leadership Team with collective responsibility for delivering a business growth strategy.
• Support Services leadership and management: Leading, managing, and mentoring the Support Services team including HR, risk and compliance, and administration and facilities.
• Strategy: Developing and delivering short-, medium-, and long-term strategies to ensure the Support Services function is fit for purpose and contributing to the business in achieving its annual (and multi-year) objectives. It will be critical to focus on our main countries of operation (UK, Netherlands, Poland, Turkey, Kenya and Nigeria) and plan for the most cost-effective and compliant way in which to expand to other geographies – i.e. utilising and working closely with other Tetra Tech entities.
• HR: Developing and implementing an HR strategy in line with organisational objectives. Working with the HR department deliver on all aspects of strategic HR including: Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, talent acquisition, learning and development, employee engagement, compensation and benefits, and HR information systems (HRIS). Provide strategic counsel on all people matters.
• Duty of care: Ensuring full duty of care to all our personnel including training, procedure and emergency support. This may be particularly complex for in-country teams (sometimes large) where there is a smaller company presence.
• Compliance and Safeguarding: Ensuring adherence to a zero tolerance Safeguarding policy across all projects and appropriate training is provided to all staff, both corporate and project staff.
• Profit & Loss (P&L): Developing and delivering an annual support services budget, appropriate for and aligned to the company’s revenues.
• Cost management: Identifying optimum cost base for Support Services (based on projected revenues and margin targets) and, monitoring and managing this accordingly.
• Due diligence: Ensuring a thorough due diligence process is in place for all supplier contracts and effective management reporting is available.
• Company registrations and compliance: Liaising with the Director of Finance to ensure full corporate compliance in all countries where we work.
• Office strategy: Developing an optimum office strategy to accommodate both corporate and project staff. Provide appropriate working locations for all personnel, including those who work flexibly.
• Risk Management: Ensuring the business risk register is maintained and the leadership team are aware of all material risks and their associated mitigations.
• Client relationships: Building and nurturing relationships with our client’s Risk and Compliance teams.
• External networks: Building and nurturing a strong network of suppliers (for example, legal firms, HSS and HR consultants).
• Internal networks: Ensuring a strong partnership, and excellent collaboration and cooperation, with practice areas, business development, and finance, and with other Operating Units within the Tetra Tech group.
• You value people and have strong communication, influencing and negotiation skills, ability to bring people together, team working, collaboration, decisiveness, analytical and critical thinking, strategic thinking, problem solving and multi-tasking skills, organisational and leadership skills.
• You collaborate effectively with strong leadership experience within an international organisation, and substantive experience of managing: multi-disciplinary teams, a portfolio of technical and commercial functions or projects as well as internal and external client relationships.
• You deliver quality results, evidenced by your experience of working on and contributing to proposals and projects funded by Government Institutions – FCDO, EU and multi-laterals such as UN and the World Bank – and delivered overseas. Through this you will have gained a sound understanding of the international development consultancy sector.
• You are creative and innovative with an ability to make data-driven decisions.
• You have excellent written and spoken English and the right to work in the UK.
What we can offer you?
• Competitive salary
• 25 days leave (plus 8 Bank Holidays)
• Employer pension contribution
• Life and Health insurance
• Supportive working environment (e.g. Employee assistance programme, mental health champions)
• Flexible working policy
Please send a cover letter outlining with the subject line BEI05 your suitability for the role and your CV to Carol Softleigh (Carol.Softleigh@tetratech.com) by May 7th 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an initial phone interview. The final part of the process will take the form of a presentation and an in-depth interview. We ask shortlisted candidates to make us aware of any special requests or needs.
We actively encourage applications from underrepresented or marginalised groups. We are committed to diversity in our workforce.
It is important to us that our workplace reflects the diversity of communities where we work and is inclusive of everyone. We believe that inclusion makes our work more effective and strengthens our outcomes in poor and marginalised communities around the world. We have fair recruitment, retention and progression policies, and actively support the progression and development of underrepresented groups. Many of our policies, including our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy, can be found on our website: International Development - Tetra Tech Europe | International Development – Tetra Tech Europe
All candidates must have the existing right to work in the United Kingdom. Visa sponsorship will not be offered for this vacancy.
Tetra Tech International Development has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors around the world, including the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth& Development Office (FCDO), and the European Union (EU). Our people are focused on improving lives by working side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth, and good governance. Tetra Tech International Development is part of Tetra Tech, a global family of experts providing international development services in over 13 key practice areas in over 100 countries around the world. Tetra Tech serves the major aid markets in the UK and Europe, as well as the U.S. Agency for International Development, the U.S. Department of State, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and multilateral development banks.