We are looking for an energetic problem-solver, who has a strong commitment to development impact in emerging economies
We have an exciting opportunity for a Consultant or Engagement Manager to join our growing London team. You will play a key role in delivering and winning projects, working closely with our exceptional team of dedicated and supportive individuals to shape and expand our service offering in innovative finance for development, clean energy, and the development of new solutions and business models for responding to climate change and natural resource management challenges, globally.
We are looking for an energetic problem-solver, who has a strong commitment to development impact in emerging economies. This person should have a strong interest in helping our clients across governments, public agencies and businesses solve some of the world’s most pressing developmental and environmental challenges. We are seeking an enthusiastic individual who is motivated to work in a start-up environment and willing to develop and take on more responsibility as the team matures.
- Owning the production of high-quality policy papers, economic analysis, business models and institutional analysis and financing models, to support the delivery of client projects with minimal oversight.
- Working with cross-functional and geographically dispersed teams to tackle complex social, environmental and natural resource challenges, focusing on Africa.
- Managing project delivery within a defined scope of work and budget.
- Researching, assessing and developing new business opportunities and building relationships with clients, partners and consultants.
- Leading bid processes, including writing, collaboration with partners and consultants, and managing commercial interests.
- Raising Pegasys’s profile in the market, which may include developing knowledge products and speaking at conferences.
Key skills and attributes
This role calls for several specific skills and characteristics, including being:
- A rigorous and energetic problem-solver, with the ability to use qualitative and quantitative investigative processes to increase or revise existing knowledge bases, draw conclusions and develop appropriate solutions.
- Comfortable working in frontier markets and finding robust approaches to analysis and problem-solving in environments sometimes characterized by limited data availability
- Self-motivated and self-driven, with the ability to work independently and deliver tasks entirely at the level of quality expected, with minimal supervision or guidance
- A strong communicator and team player, who can share ideas and solutions successfully both verbally and in writing, and is productive working in a collaborative, diverse and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Capable to deliver effective project coordination and management, maximising resources, delivering accurate planning and reporting of progress, as well as identifying and escalating risks within the project environment.
- Able to build and sustain relationships between Pegasys and our clients.
- Able to combine an understanding of market needs and constraints and the organisation's capabilities to develop potential solutions and long-term relationships with partners and clients.
- Committed to making the world a better place, and belief that a small group of committed individuals can have a significant impact.
- At least five years of experience and a background in strategy consulting, research or development finance.
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in a relevant field including (but not limited to) economics, development finance, international relations, development studies, environmental economics/policy, public policy or politics.
- Demonstrated ability to engage a range of technical experts and clients – including senior business leaders, civil servants and politicians – as well as to negotiate, influence and manage risk effectively.
- Experience in managing complex activities and teams, working with experts and partners to produce results and taking responsibility to deliver outstanding products to clients.
- Demonstrable practical experience of (or interest in) working in frontier markets, preferably in Africa.
- Strong financial and numeracy skills with experience developing and managing budgets, costing and pricing strategies.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Willingness to travel, with experience living or working in developing countries.
- Experience in relevant technical sectors, including climate change, clean energy, natural resource management, innovative finance and/or impact investing.
- Experience working with multilateral development institutions and development finance institutions.
- Demonstrated capacity in financial and/or economic analysis of infrastructure projects and businesses, or fund design and capitalisation.
- Prior experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Business development acumen and interest.
Why choose Pegasys?
We are a strategic advisory group delivering innovative and sustainable solutions in response to development challenges in emerging economies at national and transnational levels. We are trusted advisors and partners to the public and private sector, helping them develop vital public infrastructure and manage natural resources.
Headquartered in South Africa, we address global issues with a distinct perspective.
Building on over two decades of work in Southern, East and West Africa, our practice areas are interdisciplinary by design. We believe that impactful and sustainable development interventions must be as holistic as the challenges to which they respond, with our London office established to build closer collaboration with the UK and European clients.
We place values on diversity and can offer you an environment where you can apply your innovative thinking and business skills to some of the most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. Come share your passion with us!
*Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK